My Blog List

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Lonely Thanksgiving


If there is one thing I do not like when it comes to living out of state away from my family is that I will have many lonely holidays. Except for Christmas, I would always drive down for xmas. But really any other holiday would be spent up here in Nebraska. Thanksgiving is the main one. This would be my official first thanksgiving alone, (even my hubby was drafted to work today!) Not only I am alone, but also compromised with a huge boot on my foot due to a damaged tendon. Granted I am thankful I can still walk (with a funny hobble) the sole on that boot is about 3 inches and if I stood on just my right leg, my height would go up to 5'8", when i step on my good foot with no shoe on, I am back down to 5'5".....i can see my left hip hurting in the near future with this difference in height in every stride. But all I can hear right at the moment is the ticking of my clocks, one of my kitties munching cat food in the kitchen, and my breathing. Very quiet here now. well today wont be a total loss, when Joe gets off work tonight, we will be making the plaza III steak soup (my side of the family's thanksgiving tradition) and we will have a quiet meal together and give thanks to our Lord God for the luxuries/ advantages we have, even in this hard economic recession. I am thankful nonetheless, for being blessed with a great and happy marriage with my husband, especially for the fact he now more than ever with my bad foot is taking such good care of me, waiting on me hand and foot, being my extra leg for me. I asked him that would he ever resent me and deny me as his wife for the fact he is doing all of this for me, he told me, "for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, and in sickness and in health......you dont think these vows I took under the oath of God meant nothing to me, you wearing a big boot to heal your foot isnt going to stop me from being your faithful husband." I am thankful for my sweet animal companions, Ci-Ci, Sabrina, Vinny, and Sonny. They are a part of my family, and I treat them like they are a part of the pack. I am thankful my husband has a good stable career, because of that food is on our table, heat in our house, a roof over our heads, shoes on our feet, well one shoe for me right now....clothes on our backs, and last but not least, I am thankful for my family and dear friends spread out the entire globe! They are the gems in my treasure chest of life!

2 comments:

Shirley Gonzalez-Day said...

Lauren: I am so happy you are blogging again. How did you injure your foot?

Minx's Den said...

doc told me this tendon issue was a long time coming, i used to waitress at restaurants for several years and my boss always doubled up my shifts at 16-20 shift 6 days a week....and spraining it countless times contributed to it.